905-273-3322 or 1-877-273-3322


How I Can Help - Book an Appointment for a One Hour Consultation


Canadian adults and young persons brought to criminal court are generally charged with offences under the Criminal Code of Canada or the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.


Arrest, Police Questioning, and Release


Impaired Driving and Over 80






Spousal Assault


Criminal Records


Book an Appointment With Stephen Biss


Return to Stephen R. Biss home page

Arrest, Police Questioning, and Release

If you are stopped by police or are invited or brought to a police station you should be aware that the police will probably want to ask you questions. You should be very careful about answering police questions orally, in writing, or on video. It is true that whatever you say may be used against you. Please note that in Canadian law it is always the Crown which must prove guilt. If you speak to the police about what happened you may actually help the Crown's case against you. Even if you are innocent, your admission that you were the driver or that you were present at the scene of the crime may become the only way that the Crown can prove an essential ingredient of its case. You or a relative will rarely be able to talk the police out of laying a charge. While honesty and co-operation are normally good character traits in our society, answering police questions or volunteering information may prove harmful to you in the final resolution of your criminal case. You should be willing to identify yourself and physically co-operate if you are arrested. Be polite and professional. If you decide to answer a question, you should do so truthfully and only answer the specific question that you are asked. Lying to police does more damage to your case than telling the truth, if you decide to speak at all.

Police officers are very experienced at getting information from ordinary members of the public who have little experience with police interrogation techniques.

Phone me at 905-273-3322 for free emergency legal advice either before going to the police station or at the police station. If you can't reach me or my answering service, ask the police to call the toll free number for 24 hour duty counsel. The duty counsel is available to assist accused persons phoning from the police station. The 24 hour duty counsel will not assist parents or relatives. 

After dealing with you, the police may decide to release you by giving you an appearance notice or a promise to appear. Such a document will require that you attend for photographs and fingerprints on a specific date. The document will also require that you attend Court on a specific date.

If you don't appear as required, a bench warrant will be ordered by the Court and executed for your arrest and you will be charged with the offence of failure to appear. Once arrested you will find it difficult to obtain bail.

Phone me the next morning after you are released and we will book a one hour appointment to discuss your options. Don't wait to seek basic advice until the morning you are at Court.

Return to Stephen R. Biss home page

Impaired Driving and Over 80

The DUI offences of impaired driving and over 80, also described as impaired operation of a motor vehicle and excess blood alcohol, require the assistance of a lawyer. There are many technical defences to drunk driving related charges. Phone me at 905-273-3322 to book a one hour consultation so that I can hear your whole story and identify possible technical defences. 

If you are convicted of one of these offences in Ontario, your driver's licence will be suspended for at least one year and you will frequently be prohibited by the judge from driving for one year. That may have a significant impact on your livelihood. A second conviction means at least 30 days in jail. Ontario has some special programmes called Stream "A" and Stream "B" that MAY permit you to get your licence back earlier. Phone me at 905-273-3322 to book a one hour consultation so you can find out more.

If a proper roadside screening demand or approved instrument breath demand is made to you in Canada you must comply. However, the results of any test taken may be rendered inadmissible if the police fail to comply with certain technical requirements under the Criminal Code of Canada or the Charter of Rights. See for example: Reason for the Stop, Search or Seizure, Right to Counsel, Interpreter, Privacy, Disclosure.

It is important that you diligently exercise your right to counsel at the police station by contacting your own lawyer or duty counsel forthwith. Whenever a police officer advises that you have a right to counsel (meaning a lawyer) say "yes, I want to contact a lawyer immediately." Diligently use that opportunity to consult with a lawyer of your choice or duty counsel to obtain immediate advice about your obligation to provide breath or blood samples, your duties respecting physical tests, and your right not to make any statement.

Once released you should immediately retain the services of a lawyer to defend you. Make notes of what happened using The Canadian Impaired Driving Checklist. Book an initial consultation for one hour, not just 20 or 30 minutes. You need at least an hour for your questions to be answered and to learn your options. Options are now more complex than they were a few years ago. Choose a lawyer with substantial experience related to this area of criminal law. If you choose a lawyer other than Stephen R. Biss please feel free to make use of the technical resources and blogs at www.duimetrology.com and www.impaired-driving.com.  Stephen Biss often conducts Intoxilyzer tutorials and COBRA tutorials for other members of the criminal law Bar.

Your lawyer will request payment of a major proportion of the fee in advance of the first Court appearance , to be placed in a trust account. Once retained, an experienced criminal law trial lawyer will request disclosure from the Crown and police of all relevant materials including all documentation, Crown brief, and videos. He or she will carefully review these materials looking for technical defects. The process may take some time. Don't be afraid to book a consultation with your lawyer to go over the disclosure in detail well before trial. Your lawyer may want more disclosure or production from the Crown and police than the Crown Attorney gives. Getting good disclosure is essential to a fair result.

In your jurisdiction, your lawyer may be required to attend a pre-trial meeting with the Crown Attorney or a Judge prior to setting a trial date.

Stephen Biss has extensive experience in defending criminal law, drunk driving, and care or control cases since 1979. He also has the experience of prosecuting impaired driving and other criminal law matters as a Part-time Assistant Crown Attorney in Mississauga, Brampton, and Orangeville.

You can find out more about impaired driving and over 80 offences at The Canadian Impaired Driving Information Page

Return to Stephen R. Biss home page


Sometimes persons of otherwise impeccable character steal something once or twice during their lifetime, especially at a time of emotional or financial stress. If you are charged with shoplifting (theft under), possession of stolen property (goods from another store), or price tag switching (fraud under), you should feel no shame in retaining the services of a lawyer to defend you. You need help from a lawyer.

If you are guilty, you MAY be eligible for a programme in Ontario known as diversion or alternative measures. Persons charged with shoplifting related offences who have no previous criminal record and who have taken items of small value may be permitted to attend a special programme where they listen to speakers, watch videos, and perhaps work in the community in exchange for a stay or withdrawal of the criminal charge. Call me at 905-273-3322 to book a one hour consultation to see if you may be eligible for one of these programs.

If the charge is withdrawn there will be no criminal record of a finding of guilt or a conviction although there will be documentation kept by the police and the courts related to the withdrawal itself. In some jurisdictions you may be able to request the purging or destruction of such records after one year.

If you are not guilty (eg. store security apprehended the wrong person or you inadvertently walked out of the store with goods in your hands to retrieve a wayward child) you should defend the charge. I would be very happy to meet with you to discuss whether or not you should be defending the charge. If the Crown proves its case and the Court does not believe you, however, you may face a finding of guilt and perhaps a conviction, fine, and probation.

Whether you are guilty or not guilty, you should consult an experienced criminal law lawyer who knows the local Crowns, judges, and programmes available. 

Many stores seek compensation for the costs of their investigation. This is something separate and apart from the criminal case. Even if you get diversion, you may be sued. Although I don't practice civil litigation law, I suggest that these claims have little merit and you should fight them. You should either retain a lawyer to defend such action  or defend it yourself in small claims court.

Return to Stephen R. Biss home page



Assault and Spousal Assault

Assault in Canada encompasses any intentional application of force to another person, including a gesture. If done in self-defence the act is not an offence (as long as the degree of force used is not unreasonable). Sometimes consent is also a defence. Assault causing bodily harm and assault with a weapon are much more serious.

If you are charged with a minor assault your lawyer may wish to explore the possibility of a common law or s. 810 peace bond. A peace bond does not result in a criminal record of a finding of guilt or conviction unless you breach the peace bond. Please phone me at 905-273-3322 to book a one hour consultation to see if you may be eligible for a peace bond. 

Domestic violence is totally unacceptable in Canada. A person who has allegedly assaulted his or her spouse can expect to be arrested, held overnight in jail, and brought to Court the following working day, in custody, for a bail hearing. The person will find it difficult to obtain release unless he or she can demonstrate a stable alternative address, arrange for a relative (not his or her spouse) or friend to be a surety, and undertake to obey certain rigorous conditions including non-association with the spouse and non-attendance at his or her former home. Relatives should immediately retain both criminal law and family law counsel (i.e. a lawyer or lawyers). The spouse who is the alleged victim should also immediately obtain counsel.

If both spouses are charged they may each need to find alternate accommodation, surety, and counsel. Sometimes the spouse who phones 911 ends up being charged for the current matter or a previous matter. Before you call 911 please bear in mind that you may eventually be charged and the 911 conversation will be recorded and may be used against you in Court.

The police will often request that the alleged victim give them a video statement under oath immediately following the event. If the victim recants the video will be used as part of the Crown's case. The victim is under no obligation to give such a statement and may wish to obtain legal advice before giving a statement through duty counsel or another lawyer. Victims should not be afraid to ask to call a lawyer before giving any statement to the police. If police talk about you giving a "KGB statement",  ask for independent legal advice, as was granted to the witnesses in the case of R. v. K.G.B..

Once you report something to the police you cannot take it back. The victim has no right to withdraw or refuse to "press charges". The police and Crown Attorney make those decisions.

It is often a good idea to attend at a doctor's office or emergency clinic immediately following the incident so that your injuries (alleged perpetrator or victim) can be documented. Photographs of injuries may also be helpful.

Return to Stephen R. Biss home page

See also: How to Write a Character Reference Letter for Criminal Law Sentencing

Criminal Records

There is a difference in Canada between a finding of guilt and a conviction. Once a person is found guilty of some offences the Court must decide whether or not it will enter a conviction. In such a case if the Court considers that it is in the best interests of the accused and not contrary to the public interest, the Court may refrain from entering a conviction and instead grant an absolute or conditional discharge. Although they have been found guilty, persons who receive absolute or conditional discharges may truthfully say that they have not been convicted. There are, however, records kept by the R.C.M.P. and the local police service of the absolute or conditional discharge. These records may be used against you during a police investigation, during a bail hearing (depending on your province), during a sentencing (depending on your province), and as a witness. About 1 year after sentencing you should consult a lawyer to determine whether such use is still permitted or is prohibited under the Criminal Records Act. A request should be made to the R.C.M.P. and the local police to confirm that they have purged their records.

Sometimes an employer or organization will ask for a "vulnerable persons search". These deep level searches are used in situations where the individual will have contact in their job or volunteer work with children, seniors, or other vulnerable persons. These searches may reveal discharges, peace bonds, stays, and withdrawals of charges even though the individual has no convictions.

Records kept by the R.C.M.P. and the local police force with respect to convictions may be used against you during a police investigation, during a bail hearing, during a sentencing, as a witness, or by a prospective employer or bonding company. Several years after sentencing you should consult a lawyer to determine if and when a suspension of conviction (what used to be called a "Pardon") is available under the Criminal Records Act. Once a "suspension of conviction" is obtained you should ask your lawyer to contact the R.C.M.P. and the local police service to determine if their records have been purged.

Please contact our office at 905-273-3322 to arrange an appointment for a consultation to determine the impact of the Criminal Records Act in your own case, the appropriateness of a suspension of conviction application, and assistance in requesting that police purge their records.

The impact of a Canadian criminal record on travel, study, and employment in the United States is governed by the American Immigration and Nationality Act. Advice about the laws of the United States or another country should be obtained from a lawyer licensed in that other country.

Book an Appointment With Stephen Biss
Return to Stephen R. Biss home page





List of Young Offenders Debates



Copyright 2018 Stephen Biss



Stephen R. Biss, Barrister & Solicitor

470 Hensall Circle, Suite 303
Mississauga, Ontario
L5A 3V4

905-273-3322  or 1-877-273-3322


Advertisement. Any legal opinions expressed at this site relate to the Province of Ontario, Canada only. If you reside or carry on business in any other jurisdiction please consult a lawyer, solicitor, or attorney in your own jurisdiction. WARNING: All information contained herein is provided for the purpose of providing basic information only and should not be construed as formal legal advice. The author disclaims any and all liability resulting from reliance upon such information. You are strongly encouraged to seek and retain professional legal advice before relying upon any of the information contained herein.