DUI DWI DRE: Impaired Driving Lawyer

Courts | Instruments   



Unofficial information about this Colorado legislation is provided by the following attorney or lawyer:

Click here for sponsor

DUI, DWI & Criminal Legislation in Colorado  

Interstate Driver License Compact , section: 24-60-1101

Warning: This is NOT a government web site. The information provided herein has NOT been provided by a government. This information has been provided by a lawyer or attorney or student, for the purpose of providing basic information about the laws and regulations enacted by a government and the government offices that apply laws and regulations, and for the purpose of encouraging discussion and facilitating proper legal challenges related to the application of laws and regulations made by government. Citizens always have the right to challenge government. Citizens need independent information not provided by government about government offices, phone numbers, locations, and their services or lack thereof. Please note that the information provided may not be up to date. It is your responsibility to meet with a lawyer or attorney in person to get complete advice. Information provided by some government sites may also be sometimes out of date, sometimes incomplete, or sometimes focused on protection of government politicians, officers, policy initiatives, and interests. It is essential that you retain and instruct an independent lawyer or attorney to represent YOUR interests and inform you accordingly. 

DUI Reciprocal Agreements, Getting Around the Interstate Compact

The Secret To Getting A Colorado Driver License If You've Lost Your License in Another State

Don't take the risk of driving on a fake license or an international driver license.

       You have to start off with the Interstate Driver License Compact. And the IC basically says, for the states that are members, if you won't give them a license because of a traffic matter, we won't give them a license.

       So, if somebody has a hold on your license, it keeps you from getting a license in all the other states which are members of the Compact. Which is almost all the other states. In fact, even some of the non-Compact states won't give you a license if yours has been taken away by another state.

       And all traffic matters which caused you to lose your license are counted.

       There is one exception to this. And that is Colorado.

       You see, Colorado will give you a license if the applicable Colorado law allows you to drive here, if you are a Colorado resident. This is regardless of what your home state's law says.

       In practical terms this means that if you qualify for a license under Colorado law, you must move to Colorado to become a Colorado resident and have not driven for at least a year. And you should also know that Colorado does not have a certain length of stay residency requirement. When we talk I'll give you more information about this.

How Do You Know If You Qualify?

       It's simple, really. All I need to do is ask you a few questions, and I can tell you if you qualify (But please understand, I cannot guarantee that you will get a Colorado license. I'm not the one who makes that decision.).

       Except in a few cases, the longest you can lose your license here in Colorado for traffic matters is five years. There's not much I can do about that. But if your state has revoked or suspended your license for 10 years, being able to get a license back after five years is very meaningful. Particularly if you are close to the end of five years.

       Depending on your record, you may be eligible for a Colorado license after even fewer years.

       In addition, for a DUI conviction, if you're a Colorado resident you can get a license with an interlock after one year in many cases. (The law is less clear if you're an habitual offender (three major traffic offenses in seven years.)

Here's Exactly How it Works

       First, you would apply for a license here in Colorado. Because of your conviction in your state, you will be turned down.

       I then request a hearing on your behalf. It will take a few weeks to get a hearing set up. At the hearing we prove that you're a resident, showing, for example, your bank account, the fact that you have a job, your voting registration, etc. Then we present documentation on why you lost your license. The hearing office will request information from the state with the hold, but seldom gets much.

       The hearing itself is not lengthy. The whole process usually only takes about a month . . . but don't hold me to that.

       If we're successful here, the hearing officer will lift your denial. You'll then have to apply for a Learner's Permit (which includes a written test), go to a commercial driving school (because it takes what seems like forever to get set up for a test with the State), and take the school's test. The driving school will provide you with the car and get you tested within a couple of days.

       If you pass their test, you take the certificate indicating you passed the driving test which they give you and present it to the State driver's license office to get your license.

       For full information on whether or not you may qualify to get a Colorado driver's license even though yours is revoked or suspended in your home state, then call me today at 303-761-6067, and I'll give you a full rundown of what you need to know.

Comments : The law is complex.

Update this Section | Other  Legislation in Colorado

Add a Link to a Case or List of Cases for this Section

This is not the official web site for the  Colorado legislature. 


bulletColorado DUI

Add a Section






| Privacy |

  WARNING: All information contained herein is provided for the purpose of providing basic information only and should not be construed as formal legal advice. The authors disclaim any and all liability resulting from reliance upon such information. You are strongly encouraged to seek professional legal advice before relying upon any of the information contained herein. Legal advice should be sought directly from a properly retained lawyer or attorney.

Warning: This is NOT a government web site.