Re-instatement After Suspension of Driver's Licences in Ontario

Impaired Driving Lawyer Summary

These amendments to the Ontario Highway Traffic Act went into force in September 1998. They apply where a person's licence has been suspended under s. 41(1) because of a conviction for a drinking and driving offence.

Warning: Register NOW: It may take 10 months or more to complete the Back on Track Program! Register as soon as your licence is suspended by conviction. Scheduling an appointment for the Assessment takes time. Even assuming that you participate in the 8 hour Education program (or the Treatment program) one month after that there remains a further 6 month Follow-up period. Your licence may be suspended for one year but you may not get it back for 18 months or more!

Warning: Make sure you take the Back on Track programme and re-instate your licence even though you don't intend to drive. Note that the minimum Interlock period of one year or three years doesn't start to run until re-instatement of the licence starts. You can't just wait 2 years or 6 years and expect you will never have to take the Back on Track programme or endure the Interlock minimum period. See HTA 42.1(3) and (7).

See also:

Back on Track Program


Vehicle Interlock Requirement  


Ontario Government Interlock Site




List of Young Offenders Debates



Copyright 2018 Stephen Biss



Stephen R. Biss, Barrister & Solicitor

470 Hensall Circle, Suite 303
Mississauga, Ontario
L5A 3V4

905-273-3322  or 1-877-273-3322


Advertisement. Any legal opinions expressed at this site relate to the Province of Ontario, Canada only. If you reside or carry on business in any other jurisdiction please consult a lawyer, solicitor, or attorney in your own jurisdiction. WARNING: All information contained herein is provided for the purpose of providing basic information only and should not be construed as formal legal advice. The author disclaims any and all liability resulting from reliance upon such information. You are strongly encouraged to seek and retain professional legal advice before relying upon any of the information contained herein.